People using a generic term ‘rich snippets’ for markup data, but there are several different types:
Mark up data with pre existing attributes of HTML.
Full example of a recipe in Microformat
A method of marking up data with HTML 5 attributes.
Full example of a recipe in Microdata
A method of marking up data with custom attributes and namespaces. Complex but flexible.
Full example of a recipe in RDFa
Microformats vs Microdata/RDFa
Microformats are simple, easy to use.
Useful for events, products etc. Pages with video etc, use microdata to describe objects that are unusual.
Marking up a Yorkshire Pudding recipe
- Look at Recipe on microformats.org.
- Add the top level class around the HTML containing your data.
- One property can live inside another.
- A property can have child properties.
- A property can take data from the text of an element or another attribute.
Things Glenn is asked most: How does this effect SEO?
Answer: Suspects is a signal but more importantly is CTR can see improvement of 10% – 20% when rich snippets are present in search results.